November 20, 2008

Sit down, Pumpkin. Maple Buttermilk has the floor.


Chocolate Cream Pie. Photo by Anna Williams.

I love tradition. I do...really. But it can get just a tad repetetive...don't you think? Now with Thanksgiving it's a little difficult to scrap culinary tradition in favor of a radical shift. Somehow a cheeseburger or a meatloaf or a "Tofurkey" (to be clear, the worst food invention EVER!) just doesn't satisfy the spirit of the day. But certainly we can shake up the basics a bit can't we? And nowhere do we have more freedom than with the pie! We already addressed the Pumpkin assembly, but what about the other crusty representatives? This is a democracy people not a pie-tatorship!!! And I think the least we can do is give these other candidates some type of consideration.


S'more Pie. Photo by Romulo Yanes.


Maple Buttermilk Pie. Photo by Dana Gallagher.


Sweet-Potato Pie with Gingersnap Pecan Crust. Photo by Romulo Yanes.



15 comments:

  1. oh pie, how i miss thee....

    your posts have me drooling up a storm over here. nothing makes me want to dive head first into a pie like a rainy day... the sun was so very nice while it lasted, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration as always!!
    Picking up gourmet and totally making the chocolate pie for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This cranberry merengue has been a favorite of mine for a couple of years (I make it as one big pie, not tarts). It's delicious and refreshing after a heavy meal: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/mini-cranberry-meringue-pie?autonomy_kw=cranberry%20merengue%20tarts&rsc=header_9

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo you little holiday bundle. send me your address so i can send you a lovely little seesaw letterpress calendar. PLEASE. we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. smore pie? im on it - and im in charge of dessert this year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deeeeelish. Such great ideas.

    Oh, and one more thing: you've been tagged! (details are on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. my gosh uncle beefy, you let me drool two days in a row now!!!keep them coming :) all so delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tofurkey...good lord!
    You didn't mention TurDucken?
    Chocolate is never out of season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've got the S'more pie on our Thanksgiving menu - I 'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you are giving some other pies their 15 minutes....never been a fan of the pumpkin....sorry. However, tradition or not, chocolate pie is well chocolate so where could you possible go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG......Salivating!!!!!!!! You have inspired me to make an attempt:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pumpkin pie so much, I can't even begin to tell you. My grandma always made it and she would carve a bit of crust into a turkey shape and place it in the middle of the pie. I don't eat turkey anymore but I am not crossing over into the tofurkey dark side either. I'll just stuff my face with an extra helping of stuffing. And mashed potatoes. And cranberry. Cranberry is that much better when it comes straight from the can—thwack!—and still has the ridges embedded in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i vote for that maple nut pie...emphatically.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh! Thanks for the inspiration. I whipped up several batches of cust today and now I'm re-thinking the innards! Delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I always appreciate your thoughts. Your comment will appear as soon as I can publish it.

p.s. - Contrary opinions or constructive criticism are also fine but "The Bedlam" doesnt' serve as a platform for random (or anonymous) acts of offensiveness. Rude? Deleted.